There are many positive traits we can all acquire in our quest to become a better person and perhaps the best possible human being and chances are, many of us already possess most or all of them. Here are a select few points to work on to better yourself as a human being. After all, none of us are perfect and that’s perfectly alright.
Constantly Find Ways to Improve Yourself
Here’s how to dramatically increase your ability to get things done:
1. Find someone you admire and list their good qualities. This is an excellent starting point and you will quickly get a head start in becoming the person you have always wanted to be. What is it about this person that you respect and admire so much? Is it something they consistently do, like treating others with the utmost respect and courtesy or something they have accomplished in life?
List all the qualities on a notepad or sheet of paper, keep it as a handy reference, and continually find ways to improve yourself on every point you have listed so you can become a better person.
2. Surround yourself with positive people. The old saying about “you are who you hang out with” is absolutely true. This scenario usually begins in a person’s adolescent years as they hang out with friends who are “up to no good.” What do you think usually happens to people who hang out with these types of people? Yep, you guessed it, they usually follow the same path. If you want to be a better person, you have to try to hang out and surround yourself with productive human beings in life.
3. Don’t talk behind peoples’ backs. One of the most common character flaws on this planet is the manner in which people hurtfully talk bad about one another. This is something many parents try to teach their kids to avoid but somewhere along the way, they forget these parental words of wisdom! A rule of thumb is; if you have something to say about somebody, say it to them in person and only if it’s constructive criticism directed at a person in a helpful manner. If you’re in the company of someone else who’s letting their lips fly loosely about someone else, become a better person by kindly asking them just change the subject because you don’t feel comfortable.
There are two basic reasons why people talk negatively about other people; because they actually want to cause harm to that person or because they want to put somebody else down to make themselves feel better or superior. Many people I know feel that people who constantly put down others are people who are extremely insecure of themselves and they are absolutely right.
If you are someone who is talking bad about others when they are not around, you need to take a long, hard look in the mirror, apologize to yourself, and change right now! Hey, it’s okay, you’re not the only one who has been doing this for a long time. However, you need to know people can see this character flaws from a mile away and they do not respect it! This is one of the easiest ways to improve yourself so get to work on this, ASAP.
4. Be thoughtful and considerate. Selfishness has a way of destroying relationships like a tornado destroying everything in its path for miles. Who in the world really wants to be with someone who consistently places themselves or their own interests above the interests or well-being of others? To become a better person almost instantly, you need to think about someone else other than yourself.
During moments of need, place yourself in other peoples’ shoes and try to imagine what they’re going through. This will naturally lead you to be more understanding and it will help you develop more compassion and kindness toward others. Be willing to lend a helping hand whenever possible; this is a golden opportunity for people to see the great person you are. People in the sports communities refer to this type of scenario as a “gimme.” This is a situation that lands in your lap and all you have do is to be the first one to jump all over that chance to help someone! That’s something great people do.
5. Be true to yourself. Once you are comfortable in your own skin with the many positive values, qualities, characteristics, and traits you have developed over time, you will love yourself enough to be true to yourself. Have the courage to stand up for what you believe in and don’t pretend to be someone you aren’t just to gain acceptance from your peers. Make your own decisions, keep an open mind, and stand up for yourself. You will place yourself in a position where you will have no choice but to become a better person.