The scenario happens all too often. You pass by a stranded motorist looking at the front end of a car with smoke billowing out as if the engine is on fire.
Usually, it signals that the car is overheated and if you aren’t careful, the same thing can happen to you and your car’s engine can be irreversibly damaged.
It’s easy to notice when the car’s engine is running a little too hot. You can see the temperature gauge on your dashboard and when the needle is not in its normal position and pointing much higher towards the “hot” direction, that’s when you know your vehicle is not running as it should be.
In many cases, it’s fairly easy to fix even though there are times when it’s fairly expensive to repair.It’s important to know the basics of how to keep your engine cool.
Luckily, here are examples of what could cause a car to overheat and what you can do about it:
1. Your engine coolant is low. This is the most common cause of an overheated engine and the level should be checked regularly, especially in the summer. It’s amazing how many people never pop open the hood of their vehicles to check something so easy to check and something that can prevent expensive damage. If you don’t have enough coolant in your vehicle’s system, you should know that your engine relies on this liquid to cool down the engine constantly. If you have some sort of coolant leak, your vehicle will probably need to be towed to a mechanic right away if you want to avoid permanent damage to your engine.
2. Your electric fan is malfunctioning. This is a very common cause of overheating and if by any chance you are one of those few people who check under their hood, you may find that your radiator fan is not working. A great way to usually test if your fan works is to turn your car’s air conditioner “on.” Most vehicles’ fans turn on when you put the AC, so it’s the first thing to check to see if the fan works or not.
3. The radiator fan switch is not working. This is the little thingie that comes on when your engine coolant gets up to a certain temperature so that it can prevent overheating. You may or may not be able to test this out yourself and if you are not mechanically inclined, I don’t recommend you tackle it yourself. However, if you’re good with tools, the way you can tell if the bad radiator fan switch is the cause is to find the wiring harness, disconnect it, and then connect a jumper wire to the harness contacts. After doing so, if you see the fan turn on, then you know you need to replace the switch.
4. Your engine thermostat is not opening up. Your engine’s thermostat is set so that when the engine reaches a certain level of heat, it gives a signal so that coolant can flow through your radiator and keep the engine temperature at the level it’s supposed to maintain. If it doesn’t open at the right time or not at all, this may easily be the cause of an overheated engine. Aside from taking your car to a mechanic, the easiest way to tell if the thermostat is the problem is when you are traveling at highway speeds and it’s still overheating.
5. Your fan belt may be broken. If your radiator fan is not working, your fan belt may be broken and it simply won’t work! This can spell trouble for you and the good news is that it’s easy to spot when it’s broken and it’s usually inexpensive to repair at a mechanic you can trust!
6. A clogged radiator. Once your car gets over 50,000 to 60,000 miles, your radiator may start to clog up a bit and a great way to ward off this potential problem is to have your radiator flushed out every single year from now on.
A good rule of thumb to be on the safe side is; if you notice your engine is running hot, take your car immediately to your mechanic if it is safe to do so. Another thing you can do is to find a friend, neighbor, or family member to help you out before having to take your car in for an expensive repair.
It’s not that easy to make a healthy dinner time after time again, but if you know how to prepare healthy meals using a quick guide you’ll stand a better chance of whipping up something delicious and nutritious without even thinking too much about it for you and your loved one.
The most important part of coming up with a plan for healthy dinner recipes for 2 every night is to know which foods to pick as well as how much of those foods to serve for dinner. The best recipes for dinner are usually the most simple ones you can prepare quickly and deliciously.
Here’s how to do it:
- Select only foods that are healthy. I know this sounds like a no-brainer, but it’s a proven fact that the majority of people on this planet have no idea how to pick the healthiest foods on a consistent basis. You can start by choosing only foods that are nutrient-dense. For example, if you’re picking out a protein food, try your best to not have red meat more than once a week because of the saturated fat content, even in so-called lean meats. Instead, choose fish, chicken, and beans or lentils as your protein source. Whatever you pick out as a protein source, try to pick out the ones that don’t have saturated fats because as you know, this can lead to having problems with your cholesterol and add on extra pounds fairly quickly. When you’re picking up vegetables for dinner try to stay away from the ones that are high glycemic. Starchy vegetables are notorious for packing on the pounds. When it comes to starchy, we’re talking about baked white potatoes, white rice, and enriched white breads, for example. If you’re going to have bread with your dinner, try to pick out a healthy bread such as whole-wheat or any other bread with whole grains. For those of you who want to add calcium to your diet, pick out a low-fat milk or fat-free milk. Stay away from the 2% and above when it comes to milk and cheeses.
- Use the proper balance when you’re serving your dishes. If you place vegetables and fruits on one half of your dish, a protein source on one fourth of that dish, and some type of whole grains on the other fourth of that dish, you will have a very healthy meal as long as the amount of food you eat is not overbearing.
- Properly control the amount of food you eat. You may have picked out the perfect balance for your meal by having your plate full on one side with vegetables and fruits and the other side with protein and whole grains. However, this will not do you any good if you go back for seconds every single night!
- Do your best to eliminate unhealthy foods. Even though it’s okay to splurge every once in a while and have that chocolatey delight that you’re always craving or that pepperoni pizza with extra cheese, it’s wise to severely limit any type of food that is not good for you. If you’re eating a food that contains far too much sodium or saturated fat, excess sugar, or too much cholesterol, you are going to place yourself in a position where your body will most likely start complaining on you after a while; and everybody knows there’s nothing worse than a body that is continually complaining to its owner!
Here’s an example of healthy dinner recipes for 2:
Baked or Rotisserie Chicken with Green Beans and Brown Rice
This dish is extremely simple to make. Buy two whole breasts and two chicken quarters. Season the chicken with Badia (Sazon Completa) complete seasoning, a little bit of salt and pepper, and fresh minced garlic 9or use garlic press). Bake in the oven for 45 minutes on 375 or use your rotisserie at the appropriate settings.
For the brown rice, you will need 1 cup of rice, 1 1/2 cups of water, 3 medium cloves of fresh minced garlic, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and salt.
In a two-quart saucepan, saute the garlic in the olive oil on medium until the garlic is a little off-white (do not overcook). Immediately place the 1 1/2 cups of water in the pan, and place 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Place the burner coil on “hi” setting.
When the water comes to a boil, put the cup of rice in, stir it a little bit, then lower the setting to just a little bit less than medium. Cover and cook for about 20-25 minutes, making sure the rice does not burn on the bottom.
Add some steamed or pan-fried green beans in a little bit of olive oil and top them with a tiny bit of salt and pepper.
Add your favorite fruit and you are good to go!
If you don’t feel like cooking chicken that night, go to your favorite supermarket and grab one of their rotisserie chickens and make the rice and green beans at home.
Just one taste of a good chicken noodle soup and you’ll probably figure out how important celery is as a part of the recipe. Many people wonder, “Is celery good for you?” because it’s a vegetable and after all, if it’s a vegetable it has to be good for your health, right?
Celery Nutritional Benefits
First let’s talk about how celery was first introduced to humankind. At around 850 BC it was discovered in the Mediterranean basin and used as an herb and a couple hundred years after that, people began eating it as a food source. Back then, celery was used to fight against the flu, common colds, and many stomach problems. These days something you probably don’t know is that celery actually fights off Alzheimer’s disease and has been shown to ward off cancer in laboratory animals. Talk about packing a powerful punch!
Start Your Diet Today and save now with doctor-designed, chef-prepared and weight loss program at BistroMD.com.
There are very few carbs in celery has the ability to lower your blood pressure because it has certain chemicals in it that actually unclog arteries over time, improving your blood circulation. As a matter of fact, if you eat just a little amount of celery every single day, you will probably notice improvement in your blood pressure within a couple of weeks.
Celery also contains rich sources of vitamins. A few of the notable vitamins in celery are vitamin C, beta-carotene, antioxidants, and vitamin K. Antioxidants, as you know, prevent cell damage in your body. Vitamin K is instrumental in helping to reduce clotting in your blood.
This amazing vegetable also yields celery oil as an herbal supplement. This herb helps keep your kidneys functioning properly, it helps to prevent arthritis, and it gives you a chance to have healthy blood pressure. In laboratory tests, celery also been shown to reduce the number of times laboratory animals acquire tumors. The amount of celery nutritional benefits are off the charts!
If you cook your meals at home, chances are you’ve heard of celery seed. This is an herb that has a strong aroma and it’s used to flavor many types of dishes including sauces, breads, soups, and meat dishes. I have an aunt who actually uses celery seeds in her fried chicken recipe and I have to say, it is freaking phenomenal!
As you can see, celery is actually very good for you and it’s one vegetable, herb, or spice that deserves consideration the next time you’re cooking a meal, preparing a dish, or using herbs as remedies.
There are a whole lot of ways you can cook baby back ribs and plenty of great recipes but there is one that I have found to be my “go-to” method because of its deliciousness and simplicity. It involves cooking baby back ribs in the oven as a shortcut, brushing a homemade barbecue sauce on it, and finishing them off on a charcoal or gas grill.
1. Your first step is to preheat the oven at 350 °.
2. Then, we need to get the baby backs going and for this method to work quickly and well, we are going to learn how to cook baby back ribs using a shortcut; you will place a good amount of dry rub on your ribs (I use Emeril’s Rib Rub Seasoning) and place them side by side in an aluminum baking dish in the oven. Cover the aluminum pans tightly with aluminum foil (very important).
Cook the ribs at 350 ° for exactly two hours.
3. Now, we need to make the barbecue sauce. Of all the barbecue sauces I have tasted when I eat out at restaurants such as Outback Steakhouse, Longhorn’s, or any other local barbecue joints that boast about their baby back recipes, nothing beats the recipe I’m about to give you!
It starts with Big Mama’s Recipe, which, believe it or not, I got off the Internet years ago. Of course I made some modifications to suit my personal taste such as eliminating a lot of the sugar content in the original recipe. This allows you to eat and enjoy more ribs because sugary barbecue sauce is repugnant after a while and can make you feel sick very quickly. Still, as far as i am concerned, there is no better recipe for baby back ribs barbecue sauce. In my circle of friends and family, over 300 people can’t be wrong!
Here’s the modified version I use (better than the original in my opinion because it is less overbearingly sweet):
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 4 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 med onion puree (use a blender or food processor) – this is optional but recommended
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 cup steak sauce
- 2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
All you have to do is to mix all ingredients in a saucepan. Then you bring the contents to a boil and reduce the heat and let it simmer for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
This barbecue sauce recipe blows anything and everything away!
As a quick and cheaper alternative, use 2 “Sticky Fingers” brand Tennessee Whiskey or Memphis Original sauce and add the 1 medium onion puree as described in the above recipe. This is not the real deal but it comes very close and is far better than just about any baby back ribs barbecue sauce you will eat at any barbecue restaurant.
4. Once the ribs are done after exactly two hours at 350 °, it’s time to finish cooking them. You can do it using either a charcoal grill (which I recommend for maximum flavor) or a gas grill. Use hickory chips to add a nice smoky flavor (also very important). Cook the ribs and start brushing plenty of barbecue sauce on them until they are seared and have slightly black grill marks. Use your own personal preference when it comes to how long you want to cook them. Usually, 5 minutes on each side does the trick.
Who Said Cooking Baby Back Ribs In Oven Is Useless?
It isn’t when you simply use it as a shortcut! I have traveled the country and I have eaten in some highly-regarded barbecue restaurants. I have tried and eaten many great-tasting baby back rib recipes and I can easily say this recipe blows everything out of the water. The meat should firmly stick to the bones but they should come off easily and melt in your mouth!
If you want to do it the real way and slow-cook these baby back ribs a few hours on the grill, even better!
Every year, people become excited to go on a summer vacation but most of them worry about the likelihood of gaining a few pounds while they are away from their normal routine. It does not have to be that way!
Last year, during a 10-day summer vacation, I actually lost 2 pounds without really trying to lose weight. It surprised me as much as it is probably surprising you while you read this; up until then I didn’t know a single family member or friend who had actually lost weight on vacation. To me, it was simply impossible unless you consciously went on vacation with the intent to have a miserable time while you helplessly watched your family indulge themselves every day. What? Celery sticks on vacay? Are you nuts?
So, how do you not gain weight on vacation?
Here’s how I lost weight without really trying:
- I picked a hotel with fitness amenities. It’s difficult to find a hotel with a full gym but if you conduct a decent search, you can at least find one with a workout room. The hotel I went to had a full rack of dumbbells up to 50 lbs., an elliptical machine, a recumbent cardio bike, and a complimentary towel! The room was only 700 square feet or so, but do you know what? While on vacation, I worked out every single morning at 8:00 A.M. for just 30 minutes and except on a rare occasion, I was the only one in the room. What does that tell you? People simply do not make it a point to work out during their vacation.
- I kept my drinking to a minimum. Instead of the usual umbrella drinks, I opted for Bacardi and Diet Coke on the 2 days out of the 10 that I drank alcohol. When I am trying to lose weight at home, I simply cannot shed any pounds unless I cut out alcohol entirely. So it makes sense that abstaining from alcohol or at least limiting it will prevent me from gaining any pounds while I’m enjoying my vacation.
- I stayed active. If I would have stayed in the hotel room the whole time and only went out to eat a restaurant, I would have gained 5 pounds. Instead, I planned activities daily and tuck to the plan! Snorkeling one day, swimming poolside the next, fishing another day, sightseeing; it all adds up to being active and burning calories without trying.
- I avoided high carb foods. Baked potatoes were out the window! About the only carbs I would eat throughout the day were the two whole wheat toast I would have almost every morning with egg whites and a cup of coffee. When we ate at a restaurant, my lunches would consist of a protein source such as chicken or fish coupled with green beans or asparagus. On one occasion I ate a sweet potato without butter and that was splurging for me! If I got hungry in between meals, I always kept fresh Boar’s Head Meats and non-fat American cheese in the miniature hotel refrigerator and I would eat roll-ups.
That’s it! Although I didn’t thoroughly enjoy just about every single meal like I normally would, the end result was that I lost two pounds during vacation. And I had a great time!
UPDATE: Chicago was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on April 8, 2016!
This original article was written on May 3, 2014
You’ve got to be kidding me! How can a band as influential and successful as this one throughout the 70’s to the present day, with only the Beach Boys topping their unbelievable chart success throughout the 70’s and 80’s for singles and albums by American bands, not be in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? I’ll tell you why.
It’s because according to many rock artists, the guy in charge, Jan Wenner, is an impetuous little child who adds who he feels like to the Hall of Fame simply because he can! Many reports say he does not like Chicago’s music. Personally, I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like Chicago; and I’m talking about dozens of family members, friends, and strangers. What’s not to love and respect about one of the greatest rock bands ever to grace a stage? There is no question that Chicago is one of the top 10-20 rock and roll bands of all time. Whenever I hear 70’s Chicago music, whether at a bar, cafe, or anywhere else, it always seems people sit or stand up and take notice. Chicago’s music is not only firmly embedded in America’s heart and taste, it’s been a huge part of people’s lives all over the world. Talk about influential! Conduct some research of your own and you will find the countless successful artists these guys heavily influenced.
This leaves me wondering; I wonder why anybody in this world should take Jan Wenner’s hall of fame seriously.
Chicago has only been together for over 47 years. They have only sold a gazillion albums. They are one of the few truly original rock bands of all time, mixing horns with rock and roll and having great success to the tune of 5 number one albums and 21 top ten hits. They have also had 8 multi-platinum, 18 , count ’em 18 platinum, and 22 gold albums throughout their career. Without a doubt, a big part of their success came from daring to be different with their slightly jazz-infused, highly-original rock sound.
Chicago’s first album, released under the name Chicago Transit Authority, contained two classics; “Does Anybody really Know What Time It Is?” and “Beginnings”. The hits just kept on coming after that. Here’s a list of their 2nd album’s hits; “Make Me Smile”, “Colour My World”, “25 or 6 to 4”. Former lead singer Terry Kath goes down in rock and roll history as one of the most expressive vocalists and greatest guitarists of all time. It is said that Jimi Hendrix once saw an early Chicago concert and remarked to Kath, “You are a much better guitar player than me. You are the most dangerous (as in good) player I have ever seen.”
By 1972, they had already gained a huge following and the hits continued throughout the 70’s with classic songs like “Feeling Stronger Every Day”, “Just You ‘N Me”, “Make Me Smile”, “Call on Me”, “Wishing You Were Here”, “Saturday in the Park”, and the hauntingly beautiful ballad “If You Leave Me Now”. During the 80’s, just before the departure of one of their lead singers, Peter Cetera, Chicago scored huge successes with classic hits such as “Hard Habit to Break”, “Hard To Say I’m Sorry”, and “You’re the Inspiration”. The list of classic hits goes on and on.
By the way, Chicago still has 4 of the original members, including lead singer Robert Lamm, the very same guy who wrote and sang, “Saturday In the Park”, “Beginnings”, and “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?”. Even though the band has aged, it is so worth watching Chicago live today just to see him perform those three classics! Dude, they still rock!
Chicago is just one of the bands that has been snubbed by Wenner and his so-called Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. However, they are the best one not inducted so far.
It’s sad to see how insignificant the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is. This goes beyond bands crying foul or sour grapes. It has to do with obviously deserving bands who, according to the Hall’s criteria, have had a significant impact on the evolution, development, and perpetuation of this beloved music we call rock and roll. Chicago has reached every criterion to an extreme! The Internet is littered with information on how Jan Wenner has single-handedly ruined it for all of us rock fans by making a joke out of his Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. He should be ashamed but he’s not.
Shame on us for supporting this pretentious institution. We deserve better. Someone should start a “Real” rock and roll hall of fame, one with an unbiased panel and one without subjective and emotionally-opinionated players making the decisions. Until then, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame doesn’t mean anything. It just serves as a self-serving, disrespectful entity that no recording artist should ever be proud to be a part of. Sad…really sad. It is truly an insult to rock and roll fans worldwide.