People the world over are fighting out the perfect cure for joblessness lies in filling out Subway applications and becoming a sandwich artist. And why not?
These sub shops are franchise-owned and operated which means owners are usually looking for motivated and energetic people to fill their open positions. Aside from that, you don’t have to cut through the corporate mumbo-jumbo to find employment at one of these restaurants. You can actually approach the restaurant owner in person and make a good enough first impression on your own to be considered for one of the open spots.
A Subway application is easy to fill out; simply go to the main careers web site and follow the instructions on how to apply. The entire process should not take more than 30 minutes of your time.
What Types of Subway Jobs Are There?
Here are the available positions in the restaurants:
- Sandwich artist – this is the most basic position at Subway and it requires workers to prepare food in a neat manner and in a timely fashion. It takes a lot of practice in a little bit of skill to be able to consistently provide excellent customer service in this area. People who are motivated should generally learn the ropes, so to speak, in a relatively short period of time (usually about 2 weeks).
Keep in mind that with this position you will be in charge of cleaning the
restaurant, restocking items, greeting all guests who walk in, and handling the
cash that flows through the business.
- Senior sandwich artist – in this position, you have all the responsibilities of a regular sandwich artist with the exception of one thing; you are entrusted to train all the new hires in the art of making sandwiches. Although this may not seem like such a big deal at the moment, it actually is; this is because this job can set you on the fast track to becoming a shift manager, an assistant manager, then a store manager.
- Shift manager – this is a supervisory position where your will oversee your fellow employees as they prepare products, control inventory, ensure the food is safe to eat, and ensuring all customers are treated with the utmost respect and courtesy. You will also be in charge of maintaining the equipment within the restaurant, making sure everything is up to standards. Often times, a shift manager at Subway is in charge of the scheduling process.
- Assistant manager – with this position, you will perform all the duties of the shift manager and you will also be directly responsible for approximately 4 to 12 employees underneath you. You will also be the person in charge of recommending promotions, initiating employees transfers, suggesting the termination of employees, and completing written and verbal evaluations of staff members.
- Manager – with this career, you will oversee the assistant manager and help him or her achieve the objectives and goals of your particular store. You will be ultimately responsible for all of the store operations and you shall maintain business records. You will be entrusted to ensure profitability and you will make certain the employees adhere to all safety and security standards. You will also recruit, reward, and terminate employees as needed, and you will be in charge of planning special events and promotions for your Subway franchise.
Although Subway applications will get your foot in the door to a job that pays somewhere near minimum wage, you will be given the opportunity to advance within the system fairly quickly if you can prove yourself.
The best course of action for someone trying to get hired at Subway is to fill out an application online and visit the store of your choice within the following two weeks if you haven’t heard a call-back. This way, you can introduce yourself in person to the manager or owner of a specific store and make a good impression. Be prepared to leave all your contact information; since you are already in the Subway system by applying online, all a manager or owner has to do to initiate your hiring process is to make contact with their headquarters on your behalf. If they like you and have your phone and email address it will give you a distinct advantage over other applicants.