There are almost an endless amount of jobs at Walmart in many areas throughout the U.S. as well as in other countries. It is the world’s largest retail store chain in the United States, with over 10,500 stores and clubs in 28 countries under different names.
Walmart has a wide range of jobs available. It employs more than 2 million people worldwide and 1.6 million in the U.S. alone. It is an equal opportunity employer that hires qualified candidates from any background or walk of life to work at its stores.
The jobs available at Walmart can be separated into 5 different categories:
- Stores & Clubs
- Distribution, Fulfillment, & Drivers
Jobs At Walmart Store
There are many entry-level and experienced positions available in just about every area for people wishing to work in the retail business.
Cashier and Front End
Customer service skills are the key to ensuring a customer has an enjoyable experience when they visit your store. Besides being friendly, you also need to be mindful that they may be looking for a solution to a problem that your product can solve.
You’ll be an ambassador of Walmart, where the work is pretty intense at times. This is especially true when you work during evening hours, on the weekends, and during the holidays.
Sometimes, you will need to juggle a few tasks in a short amount of time while also helping customers. This usually happens if you’re scanning items, explaining prices, bagging things properly, counting cash back, or maintaining your area.
For these positions, it takes a person with the right skills, who is pleasant and passionate to deal with customers and take care of their needs. Here are some tips on how to get a job quickly at Walmart.
- Walmart Job Application Guide
- How to Get a Job at Walmart
- Senior Citizen Jobs at Walmart
- How to Get Hired at Walmart – Top 10 FAQs
- How Much Does Walmart Pay?
- How to Get a Job at Walmart
- Walmart Job Descriptions
- Does Walmart Do Drug Tests?
- Is Walmart Hiring?
- Walmart Job Interview Tips
- Will Walmart hire me at 14?
- How to Become a Walmart Cashier
- What’s the best way to apply for a job at Walmart?
- Walmart Manager Guide to Success
- Starting Pay for Walmart Cashier
- Walmart en Español
- ¿Cuánto pagan en Walmart?
Duties and responsibilities for these positions include:
- Be polite, greet customers with a smile, and say “thank you” at the end of a transaction
- Stand up for long periods of time while checking customers out quickly
- Keep your area tidy and well-presented
- Assist customers by answering their questions and helping them fulfill their needs
- Help your co-workers if they ask for assistance
Cart and Janitorial
- Create a great first or last impression for new customers with a quality service that’s worth noting
- Retrieve shopping carts from the parking lot and bring them back to the store
- Help customers unload and move their carts
- Make sure the restrooms and sales floor are cleaned as needed, as well as maintain the parking lot
- Always have a positive attitude, no matter what the weather is like
Food and Grocery
Here’s why Walmart says it is the leading grocery store in America. After hearing from their customers, one of the biggest reasons for shopping regularly at this store is their friendly and hard-working associates in the food and grocery departments.
Employees provide them with the best, fresh food and groceries while not being afraid to smile and treat them nicely. These jobs allow you to make decisions that help Walmart provide quality products to its customers.
The job description states:
- Whether you’re slinging sandwiches or ringing up groceries, your cheerful face and a friendly demeanor can help set the tone for a great shopping experience.
- Working at the bakery lets you help an entire family enjoy a meal together. You won’t just be decorating cakes. You’ll also be helping our customers make their day more special whenever they visit.
- Working in the dry grocery department means you will be making sure customers are able to find all the products they need.
Regardless of what sector you work in, the fresh food and grocery sections contain certain similarities. Some tasks include caring for shelves and departments, checking temperature control and dates, and disposing of food that’s close to its expiration date.
If you have the passion or experience buying fresh goods from food stores or making your own grocery purchases, this role may be perfect for you.
Here are the duties and responsibilities for these positions:
- Give customers easy access to what they want by improving your work area and being attentive
- Make sure that your produce, deli, bakery, dairy, and meat departments offer high-quality products
- Prepare prepackaged goods for sale in bins and shelves
- Prepare and serve pre-prepared meals
- Provide customers with the right information to help them order birthday cakes, fulfill deli orders, or find the right produce
- Ensure your store is kept clean and sanitized for customers
Do you enjoy assisting people with orders and finding what they need? Whether it be a daily need or a special occasion, you will help customers find what they are looking for with these types of jobs.
As a sales associate in any of Walmart’s many departments, you can improve someone’s day by performing your job well and being friendly and helpful. This job will definitely keep you on your feet and very active!
You need to keep up with how your store looks by maintaining aisles and having to deal with multiple supervisors and your fellow associates. Stock is a big responsibility, as is answering the tough questions that customers have a tendency to ask.
The more you know about the store and how it operates, the more success you’ll have with customers. For example, if you’re checking them out at the register, they may want to ask you questions about the store that they maybe didn’t think to ask when they first walked in. You will average walking up to 5 miles per day while fulfilling orders for your customers.
Some duties and responsibilities include:
- Check customers’ orders and find and select the desired items from the sales floor
- Ensure that orders are filled accurately and in a timely manner
- Greet customers cheerfully and thank them warmly when they leave
- Keep up with the pace of your work and serve your customers quickly
Online Order Filling and Delivery
Working as an order filler or delivery associate means you’ll get to do something productive every day. Order fillers take care of the customers’ shopping experience by selecting products to fulfill their orders. They can sometimes even choose the perfect apple or preferred cereal.
It’s important to move quickly in this role. This is a position that will give you a lot of experience working with customers and also seeing how orders get fulfilled online.
Order fillers and delivery associates also get to be the face of the company by greeting customers throughout their shift and taking the time to have conversations with them. However, the pace can be quite hectic in busy times, such as evenings and weekends.
There are moments as an in-store associate in this department when you need to help out a customer while helping another customer who is shopping on the website.
Some duties and responsibilities include:
- You should greet your customers with a smile and make them feel welcome
- Answer customers when they have questions
- Help customers when they are looking for products
- Help your fellow associates and work together
- Keep all work areas sparkling clean and help maintain all safety standards
Stocking and Unloading
Stocking, receiving, and backroom associates make sure that customers can find all of their desired items.
Depending on your shift, you could be moving inventory from the backroom, unloading the trucks, or stocking shelves while helping customers.
From loading and unloading trucks to packing ice cream for the freezer, this job can be very physical. Some employees say it’s like getting paid to go to the gym!
- Loading and unloading trucks
- Sorting products, including in the backroom
- Regularly stocking products on the shelves
- Be sure to keep aisles neat and make sure the cleaning staff has paid attention to detail
- Treat your partners and team members with kindness and respect
- Provide a welcoming environment for potential customers and help them with any questions they may have
Auto Care Center
Walmart has over 2,500 auto centers nationwide and with its qualified technicians, it services millions of customers with tire and oil services every year.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Make sure customers have a great first and last impression
- You’ll need to have a valid driver’s license
- The job provides many different service options for customers, including oil changes, new tires, and other general maintenance
- Get certified and ensure that you are competent with doing the tasks involving machinery
- It’s important to remain positive, no matter what the weather may be
Walmart is looking for people who enjoy working as team players. When you submit an application and eventually get hired, you’ll be part of an exciting, fast-paced environment with customer interaction at the center.
You’ll work in a customer-centered environment.
If you like to work independently, this is perfect for you. Your duties will include ensuring compliance with regulations while maintaining the shelves with our customers’ favorite road trip items. If you like taking initiative, this job would be a great place to start at Walmart.
Here are duties and responsibilities:
- It is important to greet customers with a smile and thank them for stopping by
- Always make sure you are ready to answer all customers’ questions
- Provide an easy way for our customers to find their desired items
- Keep a safe, clean, and well-stocked work area
Health and Wellness
These positions are all about helping people.
Jobs At Walmart Pharmacy
The main positions you’ll find at the Walmart pharmacy are:
- Pharmacy interns – This is an excellent chance to learn new skills and all about how the Walmart pharmacy operates while you’re still attending college.
- Pharmacy technician – As a pharmacy technician, you are vitally important. You’re there to make patients feel better when they need it the most, and you accomplish this by answering customers’ questions about prescriptions, as well as providing over-the-counter medications.
- Pharmacist – You will provide clients with pharmaceutical care including processing and dispensing prescription orders, providing counseling on healthcare and medication needs, maintaining confidential information, and maintaining customer confidentiality.
- Residents – The residency program at UAMS offers future pharmacy leaders with expertise in healthcare improvement an opportunity to develop their knowledge.
Hourly Supervisor and Training Jobs at Walmart
Not sure whether you’re ready for a promotion? Do you need more responsibility, better pay, and more opportunity?
The primary goal of an hourly supervisor is to make their section of the store run smoothly.
Associates working under these supervisors need guidance, leadership, and constant training. This is where you can excel at this position, by offering support to those employees working under your leadership.
You will be in charge of maintaining high standards for your store department and monitoring the store’s financial performance. You’re not alone on this.
You’ll have the full support of your fellow team members, coaches, and store managers. With all the training you receive at the Walmart Academies, you will be able to lead more efficiently and run your department like a pro.
Some duties and responsibilities:
- Always do your best to greet and answer any questions customers may have
- Explore your designated departments to see if service and products match customers’ needs
- Work together with your team to get the job done
- Plan out and prepare for any upcoming events that may impact your location or region
- You must be great at communicating, taking direction, and following through
- Maintaining accurate inventory levels requires basic math skills
Store Management Jobs
Walmart has a solid management team at every store to drive sales and ensure the stores run smoothly and perform at their maximum capacity.
Here are the categories of manager positions:
- Specialty area managers
- Store leaders
- General managers
- Market managers
Specialty Area Manager Jobs at Walmart
The salaries for these positions range from $48,000 to $72,000 a year.
Auto Care Managers
The Auto Care Center and service area manager is responsible for driving sales and financials by receiving and stocking merchandise.
This manager will also be in charge of the presentation, making sure merchandise is always well displayed, that pricing stays competitive while yielding maximum profit margins, and by keeping an up-to-date, accurate in-store inventory.
Additionally, he or she will ensure products are well presented, priced competitively, and with proper stocking levels.
Other responsibilities include:
- Analyzing current sales data, predicting future trends and needs in your area, and understanding the local markets
- Ensuring that you achieve your sales and profit goals while correcting any and all deficiencies
- Acknowledging customers, identifying their needs, and helping them decide what to purchase
- Greet customers and resolve issues or concerns they might have
- Ensure the safety of your customers while simultaneously promoting your products and services.
Asset Protection Managers
The asset protection manager is responsible for managing process procedures, training, and maintaining the health of inventory. They do this by reviewing company policies, procedures, and guidelines for compliance, such as in handling cold chains or hazardous materials.
They also look at gaps in expectations vs. training levels, and they determine the needs for necessary training.
Other duties and responsibilities:
- Identifies losses of inventory and notifies managers if they happen before taking steps to fix the problem
- Helps store management be accountable for company policies and procedures
- Makes sure to follow the guidelines which lead to a lower likelihood of theft
- Conducts regular audits and evaluates data
- Identifies improvement opportunities and communicates and works with managers and associates to determine corrections needed to control inventory
- Clearly identifies improvement opportunities and works closely with managers and other store personnel to identify changes needed in order to maintain inventory control
- Aligns store managers and associates with company procedures, policies, and checklists
- Protects Walmart from all types of breaches and cyber-criminals through investigations, including fraud and theft
- Conduct investigations, collect evidence, create case reports, and provide courtroom testimony when needed
Walmart Coach Jobs at Walmart
Walmart hires coaches for different areas in order to strengthen company initiatives and training.
Some job openings for coaches you’ll see will include the following categories:
- Front end
- Food and consumables
- Overnight stocking
- Internship program
Here is the general job description for coach positions:
You must lead teams and help develop their skills by effectively teaching, training, and actively listening to associates. Tours stores and provides feedback (Tour-to-Teach).
Communicates and collaborates with associates regarding store operations, utilizing technology, business initiatives, merchandising, and company direction.
Other responsibilities include:
- Introducing company change efforts with your employees, management, and customer base
- Providing clear instructions and expectations for implementing solutions
- Communicating objectives effectively and informing team members what their role is in the process
- Utilizing the (OBW) One Best Way service model standard at Walmart to engage with and provide customers with the absolute best service
- Actively work with customers to make sure that every resolution is successful
- Correcting any deficiencies to make sure that the store operates at full potential
How much does a Walmart coach make?
The average coach position pays a base salary of approximately $56,500 a year. This does not include annual bonuses which can approach up to $23,000 a year.
Walmart Coach Requirements
The requirements to get hired as a Walmart coach are at least 2 years of college education and 1 year of experience as a company supervisor. Alternately, you can have 2 years of work experience and 1 year of college education.
Walmart Store Lead Positions
There are several Walmart lead positions, including:
- Assistant manager
- Shift leader
- Sales and Training
- Fresh team manager
- Member services team manager
The job descriptions vary based on the exact position, but in general, you’ll do the following:
Walmart managers are highly important for financial performance and company sales. They review and evaluate the real income and expenses for their stores, which should include forecasting, budgeting, and controlling expenses.
Additionally, there are other responsibilities:
- Ensuring that customers are shown merchandise that matches their preferences and interests as well as monitoring how the sale of specific items change according to different seasons
- Devising action plans to avoid “shrink” and ensure desired sales and production goals are consistently reached
- Providing hourly employees with the opportunity for mentorship and development by hiring, training, and supervising them
- Talking with employees to make sure they understand what their duties are
- Setting clear expectations and working with associates to find out whether they can fulfill their roles effectively
- Recognizing employees when they perform exceptionally
- Communicating expectations effectively and consistently before, during, and after a project
Store Manager Jobs at Walmart
The Walmart store manager is responsible for managing the execution of all store operations, including the oversight of customer service, product sales, and store cleanliness. The store manager is also accountable for all staffing decisions and the development of team members, along with meeting or exceeding company goals.
Other Walmart store manager duties include:
- Using an open-door policy and consistently meeting with associates to listen to feedback and suggestions in order to provide the best quality service
- Enforcing procedures and policies and guiding associates to conduct themselves in a manner that is compliant with company standards
- Put together and interpret data from numerous reports
- Taking proactive action to ensure the safety of customers and employees
- Assuring quality by maintaining standards
- Identifying deficits that need to be addressed in order to stay competitive and using a series of targeted investments to help improve these areas
- Helping to make sure the entire organization stays on the same page and is moving towards the same goals
How much does a Walmart store manager make a year?
Walmart store managers can make anywhere between $70,000 to $170,000 a year. They also receive bonuses that can total up to $90,000 a year.
Jobs At Walmart Vision Center
There are a few optical jobs at your local Walmart, and they include:
- Independent optometrist
- Vision Center managers
- Optician- Single license
Many of the positions you’ll find in the Vision Center are salaried careers, and you’ll be expected to interact well with customers on a daily basis. The salaries are negotiable based on your credentials and experience.
Jobs At Walmart Corporate
Walmart operates its corporate offices in 18 locations throughout the world, including in Bolivia, Costa Rica, Chile, India, and a few more countries.
Here’s an example of the types of positions you will find:
- Accounting and Finance
- Administrative and Support Services
- Asset Protection
- Aviation and Travel
- Business Operations
- Corporate Affairs and Communications
- Customer Service and Call Center
- Data Analytics and Business Intelligence
- Ethics and Compliance
- Global Investigations and Security
- Human Resources
- Installation, Maintenance, and Utilities
- Marketing and Customer Insights
- Merchandising and Online Operations
- Product Management
- Project and Program Management – PMO
- Real Estate, Construction, and Realty Execution
- Supply Chain and Logistics
Jobs At Walmart Supercenter
Supercenter jobs at Walmart are a great way to get your foot in the door because of the usual availability of jobs at any given moment.
These supercenters are huge stores with regular products and a separate grocery store attached to them, usually on one of the sides of the store. You can see if Walmart is hiring right now in your area.
At these stores you may also find some or all of the following:
- Automotive centers
- Pet shops
- Optical area
- Garden centers
- Photo processing labs
- Beauty salons
- Cell phone centers
- Fast food or restaurant establishments
- Portrait studios
Jobs At Walmart Distribution
The following are some of the positions you’ll see in the distribution and fulfillment centers at Walmart:
- Freight handler
- Distribution warehouse maintenance
- Power equipment operator
- Area manager
- Service shop repair technician
- Service shop preventative maintenance technician
- Yard truck and city driver
- Administration and clerical
- Truck driver (sometimes includes an $8,000 sign on bonus)
The average Walmart warehouse hourly associate earns approximately $19 an hour. Salaried positions at the distribution centers are negotiable.
Jobs At Walmart For 16-Year-Olds
The most common jobs for 16 and 17-year-old teenagers at Walmart are:
- Fresh food associate
- Store associate
- Cart attendant
Before a teenager applies at Walmart, it’s a good idea to sit down with a responsible adult in order to practice answering questions during the interview process. The most important part of trying to get a job at this company for a 16-year-old is to appear mature enough to handle the job.
This company is looking for hard-working, responsible young workers to fill some of the more physically demanding positions. However, they need people who are up to the task and are reliable and dependable. Additionally, be mindful that some Walmart locations give drug tests before they hire new employees.
Jobs At Walmart Night Shift
The most common overnight shift jobs available at Walmart are overnight stocker positions. Here are other positions available:
- Remodel project team associate
- Overnight stocking coach
- Operations manager trainee
- Shipping and receiving clerk
These jobs, commonly referred to as 3rd Shift Jobs At Walmart, are either located at the actual stores or in the distribution and fulfillment centers.
Does Walmart rehire?
Walmart is known for being a company that believes in the fair treatment of its employees. So, if you left Walmart by mutual agreement, or for reasons such as sickness, family issues, or due to leaving for another assignment in your career path, they will likely hire you again. You’ll need to wait at least 90 days before you can re-apply, either at your previous Walmart store or a new one.
Does Walmart hire people with disabilities?
Yes, of course. However, while some disabled workers say many positive things about their management teams accommodating their disabilities, others haven’t been so lucky. Some disabled workers say it’s been a constant struggle with their managers, who are not very understanding when it comes to knowing how to treat people with disabilities.
For the most part, there’s no reason to believe you will not be treated well if you are hired with a disability. If you are, always remember it is against the law to discriminate against disabled people.
Senior citizens are also welcome to apply for a job at Walmart.
Does Walmart hire foreign workers?
Walmart needs to submit a Department of Labor work certification application before hiring foreign workers for permanent or temporary positions. The DOL will determine if the wage does indeed meet the requirements set forth.
Walmart has filed 7755 LCAs (labor condition applications) for H1B visas and 904 LCAs (certifications) for green cards from the fiscal years 2019 to 2021.
See other important job at Walmart FAQs.