The exact starting pay for Walmart cashier will vary depending on the state and location of the store, and is anywhere between $12 to $12.50 an hour. Walmart cashiers earn an average annual salary of $24,960. However, the starting pay averages about $12.25 an hour.
In states that have a minimum wage of over $14 an hour, you can expect to start out at a little higher rate. As an example, California (already), Massachusetts, and Connecticut (in June 2023) will all be starting Walmart cashiers at $15 an hour because that will be the minimum wage.
Can a 15-year-old work as a Walmart cashier?
The answer is yes. In fact, Walmart has been hiring 15-year-olds to work as cashiers for many years. The company’s minimum age requirement is 16 years old, but they have been hiring 15-year-olds if they meet the other requirements.
Walmart has a number of reasons for hiring younger employees.
First, they are often more dependable and do not have the same outside obligations as older employees who may be raising a family or going to school full-time.
Second, because they are new to the workforce, younger employees can be trained in Walmart’s policies and procedures more easily than older workers with experience elsewhere.
And third, because most 15-year-olds are still in high school and need to work only part-time at Walmart, it does not interfere with their education schedule or reduce their ability to get good grades in school.
- Walmart Job Application Guide
- How to Get a Job at Walmart
- Senior Citizen Jobs at Walmart
- How to Get Hired at Walmart – Top 10 FAQs
- How Much Does Walmart Pay?
- How to Get a Job at Walmart
- Walmart Job Descriptions
- Does Walmart Do Drug Tests?
- Is Walmart Hiring?
- Walmart Job Interview Tips
- Will Walmart hire me at 14?
- How to Become a Walmart Cashier
- What’s the best way to apply for a job at Walmart?
- Walmart Manager Guide to Success
- Jobs At Walmart
- Walmart en Español
- ¿Cuánto pagan en Walmart?
How to Apply for Walmart Cashier Job
The requirements for cashier positions are that candidates should preferably have (but not required) a high school diploma or GED equivalency certificate depending on their age, pass a background check, and be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
If you want to apply for a Walmart cashier job, you should first go to their website. Walmart offers an online application form that is available on their website in order to apply for these positions.
The form requires basic information like name, email address, contact number, etc., but there are some additional details that need to be provided depending on your job preference such as education qualifications or previous work experience.
You should also remember that Walmart often hires people from outside the state where they will be working, so you should make sure you are able to relocate if necessary. If you are not sure if this is the right job for you, check to see if they also have other opportunities, such as in-store work or a part-time job.
How many hours do Walmart cashiers work?
Walmart cashiers are some of the most underrated employees. They have the ability to make or break a customer’s day.
These cashiers work an average of 7 to 8 hours a day, with a maximum of 10 hours. The number varies depending on the store and location.
Walmart cashiers work an average of 34 to 38 hours a week.
Orientation at Walmart for Cashier
Walmart offers a two-day orientation program for all new employees who are joining their team.
The orientation includes:
- An introduction to the company’s history, values, culture, and expectations
- A tour of the store
- Training on Walmart’s policies and procedures
- Opportunities to meet other associates and store managers
- An overview of benefits programs and discounts
- Information on financial assistance programs such as education assistance and career-planning tools like Pathways
- An introduction to community outreach efforts like hunger relief programs or disaster relief efforts at home or abroad, etc.
- Some time for questions at the end of each day during orientation
Tips for Being a Cashier at Walmart
Cashiers are the face of a retail store. They are the first people that customers see, and they often have to deal with difficult customers.
The key to being a successful cashier is to be friendly, polite, and professional at all times.
Here are some tips to be a good cashier at Walmart:
- Smile and greet customers when they walk in
- Make sure that your register is stocked with everything that you need, including pens, paper, and change
- Engage in small talk with customers to put them at ease if they seem nervous or upset
- Ask questions to find out what they need help with or what they are looking for
- Always have a smile on your face and be friendly!
Walmart Cashier Benefits
- Multiple health insurance options, with add-ons that are great for you and your dependents.
- A 401k, stock plan and life insurance are just a few of the many financial benefits here
- All the store’s associates can take advantage of discounts in-store and online
- Walmart provides associates with education assistance as well
- Leave time for parents
- Military service compensation
- Paid leave includes vacation, sick time, and parental leave
- Disability (Short and Long-term) when you can’t go to work because of things like being injured, sick, or having a baby